The name gives it all away. ‘Akshi’ translates to Eye and ‘Tharpana’ to strengthen. You guessed it – Akshitharpana is a treatment to strengthen the eye. It’s a treatment which helps to rejuvenate and alleviate the stress placed on our Ocular muscles – an effective treatment for the increasing number of people who suffer from Computer Vision Syndrome. It is one of the treatments we offer within our Ayurveda programs at Surya Lanka.
In a nutshell Akshitharpana provides the eyes with the nourishing therapy they require. The treatment involves the retaining of medicated oil or Ghrita over the eyes with the help of a receptacle prepared using either Black Gram or wheat. Thereafter the eyes are bathed in the medicated oil. The duration of the treatment can vary according to the person’s Dosha type.
This Eye Treatment has many benefits. They include:
- Gives the necessary nutrients and lubrication to the eyes.
- Prevents common eye infections such as conjunctivitis, Keratitis and Blepharitis.
- Alleviates burning in the eye and eye pains.
- To remove foreign particles such as dust, dirt and Bacteria.
- Improves Vision.
- Induces better sleep.
- Provides a feeling of lightness around the eyes and serves to relax the mind.
- Reduces dark circles around the eyes.
- Can help to strengthen the eye after eye injuries by healing damage to the internal structures (however not directly after eye injury – done too early Akshitharpana can have the opposite effect)
Akshitharpana Eye treatment. Image courtesy of Jeevahealth.com.au
Akshitharpana is effective for people have:
- Eye strain due to tiredness or stress
- Eye inflammation
- Corneal Ulcers
- Burning or dry sensation in the eye
- Subconjunctival Hemorrhage
- Stiffness in the eye movements
- Hyperaemia of the conjunctiva
- Lack of secretion of lacrimal fluid
- Vata and Pitta eye diseases
It is recommended to avoid Akshitharpana if you:
- Have just completed eye surgery
- Are a person with permanent eye lenses
- Have just had an eye injury or trauma
- Are feeling dizzy
As with all treatments please consult an Ayurveda physician before performing Akshitharpana. Random, or wrongly, performing this treatment may lead to harmful effects.